Elegant Kanonkop House, owned and managed by Mark and Adele Conyers, offers personal, family-managed, award-winning, boutique accommodation, consisting of 7 spectacular individually designed and decorated suites!
Perched in a private and peaceful indigenous forest, Kanonkop House has breath-taking views of the Knysna lagoon and the giant sandstone cliffs, (known as the famous ‘Knysna Heads’), which dominate the entrance to the Indian Ocean. The award -winning guesthouse is tranquilly positioned in a private and peaceful indigenous forest, only 5 minutes’ drive from the town centre.
On June the 7th 2017, Knysna, at the heart of South Africa’s Garden Route, was hit by catastrophic wild fires that affected many areas of the town, including Kanonkop House. With the help of an internationally famous architect and friend of the owners, Arno Joubert, as well as his wife Vanessa, an award-winning interior decorator, the owner’s decided to take the opportunity to, not just rebuild Kanonkop House, but to transform it into the most magnificent, elegant boutique hotel along the Garden Route.
The grounds at Kanonkop House include a swimming pool, sundeck, outdoor lounge, terrace and bar. Full breakfast and all drinks from the bar, internet, safe parking and friendly service are included in the accommodation rate.
Experience + Activities
Knysna is an eco-wonderland offering magnificent beaches, hiking, walking, cycling and water activities. Kanonkop House also offers special rates at the two championship courses situated in Knysna: Pezula, a magnificent course situated on the Eastern Head, overlooking the Indian Ocean & Simola, a Jack Nicklaus signature course meandering over undulating hills, with spectacular vistas.
For those who seek relaxation, the “Meet Zandi” in-house spa, offers a selection of massages and aromatherapy treatments, which can be booked directly at the guesthouse.
- Selwyn Suite – This magnificent penthouse suite is often referred the signature room. No expense has been spared in the design and layout of this 90 square meter suite. The Selwyn suite enjoys a lounge, dressing area, separate seating area with telescope, two large balconies (one off the main bedroom and one off the bathroom), extra length king size bed (which can convert to a twin), full en suite bathroom with an eye-catching raised slipper bath, and a separate toilet. From the entire room and its’ two balconies, the views cannot be beaten. It is certainly the perfect place to sip a G&T and watch the sun set.
- Diamond Suite – The Diamond suite, was designed by the award winning and internationally famous Arno Joubert. Every bit of care was taken to make sure that the elegant bedroom, with extra length king size bed (which can also convert to a twin), lounge and bathroom kept the spectacular views over the forest canopy and lagoon lying before it. The lounge and indoor/ outdoor bathroom with its signature slipper bath, open out onto a deck which leads you into your private garden with a forest balcony.
- Paradise Suite – In the winter of 2017 the suite was totally re designed, renovated and refurbished. It is one of the most opulent and romantic rooms of the guesthouse and was previously awarded “The Best Room In Knysna!” award, by Frommers. It is magnificently positioned above the private forest, with a birds-eye view of the tree top canopy, indigenous garden and the entire Knysna Lagoon. From the private balcony, room and bathroom, you are perfectly positioned to watch the ever-changing tides of the lagoon waters below. The room enjoys an over-sized king bed, (which can convert to a twin), seating area, a modern spacious full bathroom that has an elevated slipper bath and a separate walk-in shower and separate toilet.
- Sunbird Suite – Sumptuous Sunbird, is a light-filled and spacious room opening onto the garden on one side, with forest and lagoon views on the other. A private balcony overlooking the stunning Knysna lagoon is the perfect place from which to enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine or the sunrise over a cup of coffee. This luxurious room has a king-size bed (which can also convert into a twin), a comfortable lounge and reading area, as well as a dedicated dressing room with an antique dressing table. The en-suite bathroom which has a raised bath and separate shower enjoy similar views over the lagoon.
- Forest Suite – The stunning Forest suite with its large private deck is set in our indigenous forest and looks over the canopy of trees onto the sparkling lagoon below. This large open-plan spacious room, has a lounge, work nook and has a tranquil cocooned feel. It was designed to capture the imagination with individual touches and luxurious appointments. The extra length king size bed (which can also convert to a twin), has views out through the large sliding doors onto the deck and into the forest and the lagoon beyond. The Bathroom, with free standing bath, shower and separate toilet enjoy views into a private fern forest and pond, where guests often encounter our wonderful forest animals like Bushbuck, Mongoose and Porcupine.
- Sivuyile & No Matata – Lose your worries and be happy in these luxurious adjacent en-suite garden rooms, that have a homely opulence, are light, airy and are generously spacious. Sivuyile and No Matata each have king size beds (which can convert to a twin) and bathrooms with separate baths and showers. Both No Matata and Sivuyile open out onto a sun-drenched wooden deck, overlooking the pool and surrounding garden, with glimpses of lagoon views in the distance.