An hour’s flight from Mahé, one will land on a discreet haven covered in coconut palms and tropical flora. With miles of unblemished shorelines, lagoons, and sea flats, Alphonse Island truly is paradise in the Outer Islands. Alphonse Island offers the best of both worlds: remote enough to soothe your soul, but with a variety of facilities to make your stay comfortable and extremely enjoyable. With everything you need on one island and more, you can do as much (or as little!) as you like.
Welcome to the untouched, natural paradise that is Alphonse Island. Surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean you will find a retreat with white sandy beaches, stylish accommodation, luxurious experiences, a range of exotic animals and endemic plant life. It’s time to escape to your holiday in paradise!
Alphonse Island is found 400 km south-west of Mahé and can be reached via a 1-hour flight. The island forms part of the Outer Islands of the Seychelles located in the Indian Ocean. The Alphonse Island Lodge offers a variety of accommodation to suit your needs. Tucked into the natural vegetation and a stone’s throw from the water’s edge – what more could you ask for?
Overlooking picture-postcard-perfect beaches, fringed by palm trees and with not another soul in sight, each of Alphonse Island Lodges’ accommodation options is wonderfully unique and completely immersed in the natural surroundings of the Outer Islands.
- BEACH BUNGALOWS: The 22 Beach Bungalows are set amongst lush tropical plants, just metres from the beach. The bungalows are 58 sqm and can accommodate 2 adults and 1 child, each with a private deck. Borrowing hues from its natural surroundings, the overwhelming feeling is one of spacious tranquillity. The outdoor shower is a highlight!
- BEACH SUITE: The 5 Beach Suites are spacious and well-appointed, with direct access to the beach. The suites are 126 sqm in size and can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. Whilst standing on the terrace of any of the Beach Suites, one overlooks a spectacular beach with an inviting cerulean ocean lapping behind it. Turn around and enter the spacious one-bedroomed suite, comfortably laid out with a large living area flowing into the beautiful bedroom. The spacious bathroom contains both an indoor and outdoor showers.
- BEACH VILLA: The most exclusive offering in the portfolio, the 2 Beach Villas are carefully positioned for privacy and comfort. The villa is 600 sqm in size and can accommodate 8 adults. Situated mere steps away from the white sandy beach with spectacular ocean views, the villas create the perfect setting for the distinguished traveller to connect with nature and loved ones. Every room in the 4-bedroom villas offers you something special and is brought together with spacious and carefully crafted living areas.
Located directly on the beach, the Le Lys bar and the Bijoutier restaurant is the heart and soul of Alphonse Island Lodge. With a congenial atmosphere, you will spend long, balmy evenings enjoying diverse cuisine inspired by the sensuous island atmosphere and complemented by a comprehensive wine list. With the use of own garden produce, forest harvests and local fish, the menus at Alphonse Island Lodge are designed around freshness. Building on the influence of local Seychellois Creole and French cuisine, dishes reflect their Indian Ocean heritage.Breakfast consists of both a hot option of your choice and a continental buffet, served in the Bijoutier restaurant and lunch can be enjoyed in the restaurant, or why not make arrangements for a packed lunch and go have a picnic at your favourite spot on the island? Most dinners are enjoyed under the stars on Le Lys beach or, by prior arrangement, on the terrace of your bungalow or suite. Ice-cold beers or a refreshing cocktail can also be enjoyed in the Beach Bar on the northern point of the island, or the Barnacles Bar at the activity centre.
Alphonse Island Lodge have the following facilities available in support of its ocean adventure activities.
- FISHING CENTRE: The fishing centre arranges both fly fishing and blue-water excursions around Alphonse, Bijoutier, and St. François Islands. Full day guided fly-fishing packages are available to St. François, whilst half or full day guided fly-fishing packages can be booked around Alphonse Island itself. Offshore blue-water fishing is also available on a guided full or half day basis. The Alphonse fishing centre boasts a team of some of the most experienced guides, captains, and deckhands in all of Seychelles, with team members drawn from across the world. Alphonse and St. François have one of the most prolific Bone fisheries in the world and other notable species that can be targeted on the fly includes Giant Trevally, Bluefin Trevally, Indo-Pacific Permit, three different species of triggerfish and Milkfish. As a matter of fact, the pattern for the fly to first land a Milkfish was designed by one of the guides on Alphonse Island! Bluewater anglers can look forward to targeting Indo-Pacific Sailfish, Dogtooth and Yellowfin Tuna, Barracuda, Wahoo, and Dorado.
- DIVING CENTRE: The diving centre offers a range of PADI accredited dive courses as well as recreational dives and snorkelling excursions. At Alphonse Island, one can often be surprised at the sheer abundance and massive size of fish in comparison to the Inner Islands. This is due to the isolation and subsequent lower fishing pressure. The coral reefs have also shown a greater resilience to climate variations than in the granitic Inner Islands and therefore the coralline plateaus are densely covered in hard coral and thick forests of gorgonian sea fans. Stunning black coral and sea whips are commonplace on the walls.
- ISLAND CONSERVATION SOCIETY CENTRE: Conservation is at the heart of everything they do at Alphonse Island and they are committed to protecting the unique fauna and flora of the area with ongoing research, rehabilitation and monitoring programs. There is a particular focus on nesting sea turtles, giant tortoises, sensitive marine habitats and forest rehabilitation.
- AZURE SPA: The lodge also offers this refuge where your mind can relax and your body can unwind after long, hot days spent diving, exploring the island or just relaxing beside the pool. The qualified therapists work magic on tired bodies in need of special attention or those simply wanting to indulge.
The activities on offer at Alphonse Island Lodge is extremely varied and include some of the very best and unique ocean adventures anywhere on the planet! Some of the unique activities on offer are as per below.
- OUTER ISLAND SNORKELLING: Situated in the remote Outer Islands of the Seychelles, the snorkelling spots offer an exceptional experience for the whole family to enjoy. View shoals of brightly coloured fish, graceful turtles, gliding Manta Rays and a host of other marine species while drifting through warm, azure waters. Snorkellers are always delighted at the sight of the resident Green and Hawksbill Turtles as they cruise along the reefs. There are also graceful Manta Rays, large shoals of species like Wrasse, Giant Sweetlips and Grouper as well as Nurse Sharks resting in the crevices of the reefs. The snorkelling sites have been carefully selected to ensure the best experiences for guests. Each site varies in depth and showcases a unique combination of species and awe-inspiring sights.
- MANTA RAY SNORKELLING AND IDENTIFICATION: This unique and signature snorkelling experience allows guests to not only observe but have close encounters with these graceful creatures. During the excursion the Mantas that are spotted are recorded. Each Manta Ray’s black markings is unique, and by submitting these images to the international Manta Trust it helps with the identifying of individuals and tracking their movements. Should you be the first to spot and photograph a new Manta Ray, you will get to name it!
- SAILFISH SNORKELING: One of the exceptional activities is the chance to snorkel with Sailfish, board one of the custom-built vessels and head out on an aquatic adventure. Found in deeper waters off the coast, finding Sailfish makes for part of the experience. These stream-lined predators rarely venture close to shore which means that encounters with the species will take place in the shimmering deep blue waters that surround the islands. Once out in the blue, the team will deploy teasers off the side of the vessel to lure the Sailfish up from the depths and with the first sight of the silvery-grey or blue bodies, it’s time to jump in for a wild experience. Sailfish are usually found in small groups which means that snorkelers are likely to be surrounded by a swirling group of these magnificent creatures. The team on the boat continue to entice the fish towards the boat which allows guests to view the Sailfish as they charge the teasers at speed. Averaging at 36 km/h, individual Sailfish have been recorded at 75 km/h – what a sight! The Outer Islands is one of the only places in the world that uses these techniques for snorkellers and is the best place that you can get up close and personal with this impressive species. Are you ready?
- TURTLE TRACKING & MONITORING: The pristine islands of the Seychelles with their expansive beaches and shimmering waters serve as feeding grounds for 5 different species of marine turtles. Of these 5 species, the Green and Hawksbill Turtles choose the remote atolls and islands of the Outer Islands as their nesting grounds. During your stay, guests can join the Island Conservation Society (ICS) Team as they head on their daily surveys to track and monitor turtle tracks, mark new and hatched nests as well as occasionally keep a watchful eye whilst hatchlings make their way to the ocean.
- BIRD WATCHING: The Outer Islands of Seychelles are renowned for their rich biodiversity and this includes a plethora of plumed species. Over 250 different species of birds have been recorded. The bird-based tourism work focuses on key areas along the flyways that are important for resident and migratory species alike. The expansive flats, coconut and mangrove forests, as well as protected lagoons are home and nesting grounds to this vast variety of birds.
- REEF FLATS EXPEDITION: Head out with the very knowledgeable marine biologist on a reef flats excursion to learn all about these curious and fascinating aquatic structures teeming with life. As you make your way across the flats, keep an eye out for swooping Eagle Rays, juvenile turtles, eels and a variety of other marine creatures that call the reefs their home.
- FLY FISHING: Experience exceptional saltwater fly fishing in some of the world’s best fishing destinations. The lodge has created bespoke fly fishing and blue water fly fishing experiences and their dedicated team of expert fishing guides and skippers along with specialist gear and equipment helps you land the perfect catch. Targeted species include feisty specimens like Milkfish, Bonefish, Barracuda, Indo-Pacific Permit, Indo-Pacific Sailfish, various species of triggerfish and the infamous Giant Trevally. The team consists of local and international guides, skippers and deckhands with years of experience garnered across the world in their relevant fields.
- A BLUE SAFARI: Explore the open ocean for an unforgettable Blue Safari. Join the team for a trip to offshore waters in search of a variety of amazing wildlife. You never know quite what to expect on a Blue Safari and your guide will be prepared for anything! Armed with snorkelling gear, you will have the option to watch onboard the custom-built vessel or to jump in the water for an all-round sensory experience, and the guides will advise you on the best course of action for the ultimate interaction. A sheer favourite amongst guests and staff alike are the sweethearts of the ocean, the dolphin, and the island is a year-round home to a few pods of spinner dolphins. Other sites to behold include migrating whales, the graceful Manta Rays or throngs of hungry Milkfish feeding on the bountiful supply of food on the surface just offshore from the reefs, Yellowfin Tuna leaping from the water at sporadic bait balls whilst birds join the frenzy from the skies above, Green Turtles surfacing to mate and of course a plethora of birds, both endemic and vagrant or migratory.